« Job Description | Main | Bedroom Secrets »

Catalina Adventure

Yesterday, a friend friend from church, Jon Vallejo, took me for an amazing adventure. He rode his 2 JetSkis from Long Beach to Two Harbors at Catalina Island. 30 miles across the open ocean...IT WAS INCREDIBLE! The watercraft were so fast - we made it in about an hour each way. Let me tell you, 30 MPH across the open water swells and chop is flying! At times we could even get up to 45-50 MPH. The day couldn't have been better with a sunny forecast, air temps in the 80s and water temps in the low 70s. We left at about 8:15 AM and Catalina was covered by marine layer. So we set the GPS and headed out. Saw a couple of seals on our way over. We pulled in at Two Harbors about 9:30 and we were ready for some breakfast.

After a great omlette brunch, we headed back out for the return journey. We were hoping to see some dolphins. About 10 miles out from Catalina we found a small pod of about seven that we chased for about 15 min. That was cool, watching them speed along right beside us. About 12 miles from Long Beach, Jon was about 20 yards in front of me when we saw something come out of the water. I raced to catch up and asked him if that was what I thought. Before he could answer, it emerged again, this time about 50 ft. from where we were idling. A California grey whale had come up for a breath. Once again our jaws just dropped. We pulled the camera up and started looking for it again. This time, it came up just about 10-15 feet from us - and this is the photo. The wake you see in the foreground is from Jon's JetSki. It came up about 5-6 more times, each of which we tried to snap a picture with our little disposable, waterproof camera. Finally, after being out of sight for about 2-3 minutes, it emerged again, this time about 50 yards away. It came up for a breath and dove down, giving us a wave goodbye with it's fluke. Jon and I sat in the middle of the ocean awestruck for about 10 min. Early that morning at home Jon had prayed that God would make this a special day...Boy, did He ever!

We raced the rest of the way into the harbor, then cruised by the Spruce Goose and the Queen Mary. By the time we got back to the launch we were so tired yet pumped from an amazing day. I'm sure my body will be paying the next few days for the beating it took, but this was a day I'll never forget!

Comments (1)


heading out agian next sat want to go? im taking a harpoon so i can go fishing and this time im bringing it back with me.P.S. i could not find pic.

Post a comment


This page contains a single entry from the blog posted on August 19, 2007 8:50 PM.

The previous post in this blog was Job Description.

The next post in this blog is Bedroom Secrets.

Many more can be found on the main index page or by looking through the archives.

Powered by
Movable Type 3.33